WE HAVE SUSPENDED SHIPPING AT THIS TIME, DUE TO COVID AND AS WE ARE ALSO TRYING TO FIND PREMISES ON THE LOWER MAINLAND. DETAILS TO FOLLOW AS SOON AS WE HAVE ANYTHING DEFINITE TO REPORT.
Bake My Day Frozen Puff Pastry
TIPS FOR WORKING WITH BAKE MY DAY GLUTEN-FREE PUFF PASTRY
DON’T LET THE LENGTH OF THIS SCARE YOU…IT IS MEANT TO MAKE YOU FEEL TOTALLY EMPOWERED AND CONFIDENT BEFORE YOU START
- If you have time, it's best to thaw puff pastry overnight in the fridge.
- If you don't have time, thaw it on the counter until it is pliable enough to roll without cracking, but still cool to the touch. Keep a close eye on it — if the dough feels very limp, refrigerate it for 30 minutes to help it firm up again. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is leaving it on the counter for too long. A room-temperature atmosphere will cause the puff pastry to wilt and become floppy. That, in turn, will make the layers stick, and also render it almost impossible to work with. If your puff pastry gets too soft, return it to the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes before moving forward.
- Lightly roll out the puff pastry – DO NOT SEPARATE THE DOUGH INTO THE OBVIOUS LAYERING – ROLL THE ENTIRE BRICK.
- Lightly dust your working surface and also top of the pastry with just a little GF flour, and then use a rolling pin to lightly roll. Puff pastry should be rolled out to approx. 3.5-5 mm depth.
- Follow any puff pastry recipe, remembering that ALL pastry (gluten-free or not) bakes off flakiest when chilled for a short time before baking in a hot oven. (think 10-15 min in the freezer first after making your ‘creation’) If you're making a filled pastry, like apot pie, for example, cut a few vents in the dough so hot air can escape and circulate as it bakes. Skip this step, and you'll have a soggy interior.
· We generally egg wash pastry before baking to give it that yummy golden colour
· A very general rule for baking the puff pastry is the following – (bear in mind that oven temperatures vary)
· Set the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6) and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes to 25 minutes. Check after 20 minutes as it's easy to burn the edges from cooking for too long.
- Scraps can be gathered up and be reused, but MAKE SURE SCRAPS ARE LAYERED ON TOP OF EACH OTHER ( NOT SCRUNCHED UP IN A BALL), before re-rolling.